|On September 24, 2000 Common Ground Community Church was launched after a year of planning and prayer. |
In the fall of 1999 Pastor Tom recruited a core team. The core team was trained in the Living Proof outreach course and participated in a Church Start Focusing process. After three Focusing Summits, in May of 2000 a vision statement and a mission statement were authored and a ministry flow chart was designed. The name Common Ground Community Church flowed out of this discerning process. A prayer minstry for the new church start was also begun in January of 2000.
At the same time support was being gathered for this new work. The Synod of the Great Lakes of the Reformed Church in America committed both financial and planning help. Several other churches gave financial support and sent people who would help carry the ministry load in the first several months. Most importantly, Calvary Reformed Church, the parent church, committed to pour their resources into this new work.
The strategy for growing this new work was two fold. First, the Core Team committed to invite their friends and neighbors who currently had no church or even any faith background. This was a concerted effort over six months. Secondly, three mailers were designed to be sent to residence in the northeast Grand Rapids and Forest Hills area.
Armed with a dedicated core team, supporting churches, the backing of a parent church, an outreach strategy, and a prayer ministry, Common Ground Community Church started at the Forest Hills Northern high school auditorium on September 24, 2000.
On September 16, 2001, Common Ground's Sunday service moved to 1513 E. Fulton Street.